Thursday, March 27, 2014

Q&A With Rupeet and Nocturnus

Rise, rebel, resist!
In late December of 2013, I decided to began building on a United States branch of FEMEN. Since then, I and a few other activists have now successfully launched FEMEN USA, and we have been raising awareness of marginalized issues and inspiring the conversations that need to be had.

With the help of Inna Shevchenko and Anna Hutsol, I was able to recruit 7 activists in the first month of the launch, although even with a rapid pace of growing support, we have our detractors, who spread misinformation for the sake of their own agendas.

Some time last week, I recieved a message from a young college student named Rupeet. I was told that she is working on an assignment for a class that she's taking. (And with her permission) I've decided to answer these question publicly. In doing this, I hope to answer some questions people have about FEMEN USA, our purpose here, my personal beliefs, and my activism.
1.) I am in a class called Social Justice Capstone and the main focus is "Women's Social Movements in Muslim Context". What are the issues you guys are currently fighting for that is related to that? What is your beliefs in general with religion?
I actually used to practice islam (along with a few other religions). But that was because, at the time, I was under the false impression that modesty could be (for some reason) "empowering" to womyn. But as of now, I am 100% anti-religion. Religion is an authoritarian plague that destroys the freedom and fearlessness of human beings.

Religion is a tool for subjugation and oppression. There can be no social justice, when you have a practice of social hierarchy, authoritarianism, and double standards. Religion keeps people ignorant, docile, and fearful. I will quote Emma Goldman:
"The most violent element in our society, is ignorance."
 Religion fills it's followers with fear, and that scares them away from impartial and impartial learning. I've run into a lot of people who mistakenly believe that religion is a neutral force, which is ruined by "bad" people. That is the wrong idea to have. There are no such things as bad people. People only do what they do, because they believe it's the right thing to do. People want to be good, but that term is subjective. People can only define good based on what they're taught.

Religion is the cause of evil in this world. It teaches people that they are sinners in need in saving. Religion teaches authority, discrimination, and hate. People are neutral forces, religions are negative ones.
2.) Describe the moment that you knew you wanted to join?
I knew I wanted to join FEMEN when I first read their website. It intrigued me so much, of how bold their message was, and how strongly I agreed.
3.) So, after you researched and decided to join, how did FEMEN change you?
FEMEN hasn't changed me, this organization attracted me, because of their fight, and what they're fighting for. I try not to let organizations change me, I'll let my studied and experiences do that.
4.) In your own words, describe FEMEN's philosophy.
FEMEN is the idea of freedom. The idea that ever person is capable of governing themselves without the aid of centralized government or social order.
5.) FEMEN is known for women being topless. While I have nothing against that, there are many critics against that. What is your response to that? What is the true purpose behind that? What do you think it'll take for people to accept that's it is normal to show your body - that it's not degrading?
I think people don't just have an issue with topless womyn, they have an issue with womyn taking their voices, and uniting them with their exercising bodily autonomy. The toplessness is a protest of misogynist concepts like modesty, virginity, and purity. It's a voice against the double-standards that womyn have been forced, socialized, and brainwashed to live under for thousands of years.

For some strange reason, people seem to believe that hiding underneath a cloth will make you a more respectable person, and implies that you are well educated. But if you really think about it, it has nearly nothing to do with that. Wearing a shirt does not demand respect or infer that you are those ideas seem foreign to me. Senseless, and illogical even.

A lot of the people who find toplessness to be ignominious, usually support misogynist concepts that hypersexualize and dehumanize womyn such as modesty, purity, and virginity. And THOSE are what is truly degrading. Womyn are innately sexual beings. There is no need for us to be ashamed of our very beings, and hide them away out of fear and chagrin. We are all born naked. Nakedness is our most natural state. So I don't understand how those ideas developed.
6.) You met Anna Hutsol, the founder? That's awesome. How would you describe her? If you meet any of the other leaders, how are they like?
I haven't met her personally, but I will be meeting her and Inna this summer. From what I know, they art both very passionate and charismatic! I can't wait to learn more.
7.) What are current issues you currently fighting for? - local issues, national issues, global issues (like Putin in Time Square)
To sum is up, our overall goal is complete victory of patriarchy. We've had had enough of it, and it's time for it to truly end. FEMEN USA is focusing on the roots. Offering different perspectives, unpopular as they may be. Even offering a platform where we may discuss the issues that marginalized groups face, because many Americans today are too fearful of dialogue.

We are fighting for social anarchy, and the destruction of patriarchy.
8.) I know there are many aspects, but what do you think the government is doing wrong that we the people need to pay attention for?
It exists. I believe that centralized government is the most counter-productive thing on the planet. Centralization of power is always bad, even when it appears to have a good short-term result. Every time you approve of the Federal government taking on new power for things you approve of, you authorize your opponents to do the same for things you oppose.

I think that America is federalized. The federal government rules with an iron fist here, but only because of the lack of knowledge among the citizens.
9.) How do you define a social movement? This is more in general, but how should one get out and help?
I believe that a social movement is a sustained series of interactions between people successfully claiming to speak on behalf of a marginalized group lacking legitimate representation, in the course of which those persons make publicly visible demands for changes in the distribution or exercise of power, and back those demands with public demonstrations of support.

 I think that people have many ways of reaching out for support. I've found that things like graffiti art, social media, posters, signs, and protest demonstrations are very helpful.
10.) What are some of the challenges running a social movement?
Well, I have several organizations and movements that I've had running since 2012, and I'm still facing some of the challenges that even I feel I'm blinded to sometimes. Of course there are detractors, conventionalists, conservatives, and the people who are focused more on the image of the group, than the group's intentions  but those are all things I am well prepared to handle.
11.) If men wanted to join or support somehow (and he genuinely wants to), how can he do so?
We don't mind having male supporters, but we want to keep our activist group composed strictly of womyn. We do this to ensure that or the most part, womyn's interests are the focus of the group. Men can be part of our team, but our activists must be womyn.
12.) There are many definitions to this, but how do you define 'feminist'? How about what it means to be a 'woman'?
I'm actually glad you asked this, because I think that with today, not many people know who Feminists are, or even what Feminism is. See, people have mistaken Feminists to be simply "a person who believes womyn and men are equal". but this is one of the biggest misconceptions about Feminists today. A Feminist is someone who advocates for the rights, empowerment and liberation of womyn. And Feminism is a series of ideologies and movements geared towards the rights, empowerment and liberation of womyn. Feminism isn't an ideology, if just defines a series of them, as well as a series of movements.

As for what is means to be a "woman", I believe the grrls who identify with that, are left to define it by their own means. I personally identify as a "womyn", so I don't think I have a place to comment on that.
13.) We live in a patriarchal society. Sometimes it's hard for people to recognized that. It's just the way things are to others because we lived under it for so long. How do you get people to think out of the box?
I think that they have to find and recognize that on their own. The only thing I can do, is expose people to information, but it is their choice whether or not they will review it.
14.) How do you organize that allows you to explore certain issues and go accordingly?
I plan a tight schedule. I like to make sure everything has a place, and everything is in its place. I plan my schedule based on my estimated month's workload, and I go from there.
15.) If one decided she wants to join, where must she go to become a member?
Any womyn who is interested in joinging FEMEN USA, can e-mail joinfemenusa@gmail.com.
16.) What makes FEMEN USA stand out from the other branches of FEMEN (if any)?
I think we're a bit more radical, and more militant in our approach on the issues we want to confront. We all have the same ultimate goal (complete destruction of patriarchy), but I think that we go a little futher than that.
17.) What are the strategies to get people informed or become aware of your goals? How do you communicate to your audience? How do you communicate with each other? How do you guys meet? How do get others to notice your causes? How do you protest?
We're going to use lots and lot of demos, blogs, music, and artwork. I think that 2014 is our year. We're not going to lay dormant for a while as suggested by a few people. We're going to get out there, get heard, and get things done. As far as meetings and communications go, I'd prefer not to share that. I've received a total of 12 threats of violence and censorship.
18.) Where do you look for inspirations? There had been women's movements in this country throughout history. How those events in the past influence FEMEN USA?
I don't look to be inspired, unless I'm working with my art or music. However, we are motivated by people like Emma Goldman and Lucy Parsons and Guerilla, as well as anacha-Feminist groups.
19.) FEMEN USA is relatively new, but what are your accomplishments so far?
We have raised awareness of international issues, and a not-so new perspective, that has been silenced and restricted for years.
20.) What do you hope to achieve in the near future (whether it is reaching out to new members, opening a new branch, focusing on a certain cause, etc)?
I don't plan on keeping the US branch of FEMEN frequently active. Eventually, I just want us to be the guardians of secularism, and social anarchy. I only want to have to do this for 5 years, because I have 17 other organizations that I advocate for, work with, and a few projects that I have created myself. But if my crown of flowers lights up, I'll answer that call.

CONNECT W/ FEMEN USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment